Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Worst Christmas Song Ever

I have recently heard the worst holiday song in the history of holiday songs. It may be the worst song in the history of songs, period. It's called "The Christmas Shoes." Here's the chorus.

Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size

Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time

You see she's been sick for quite a while

And I know these shoes would make her smile

And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight


That is just so wrong. Wrong. Ick. Why would you want to hear that, ever? Yet I have heard it twice in the last two days on the Christmas station. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Want to hear the whole, horrifically depressing story of this kid and his dying mom? The full lyrics are here.

8 comments:

Fishfrog said...

Holy crap that's depressing. His mom's dying on Christmas and he feels the need to sing about it. Just out of curiosity, does it at least have an upbeat tune?

Scarlet Panda said...

It has an irritating, easy-listening, John-Tesh type tune.

Also, the kid's not singing. The singer is the guy standing behind him in line and has to spot him the money to buy the shoes because not only is the kid's mom dying, the kid is impoverished. Also, he's dirty.

Amanda G. said...

It is guaranteed to rip you right out of the holiday spirit and make you go running for the JimBean to make the pain go away. It is a TERRIBLE song.

Nell said...

wow.... That's terrible. I can understand why someone might write it, but who in the world would play it?!?

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog after doing a search for "Christmas shoes worst." I was curious to see how many other right-minded individuals are out there.

This song is just awful. So awful. It's saccharine, depressing, cloying, and devoid of any substance. I listened to an interview with the singer who said that "it took him so many tries to get through recording this song without crying." It's taken me just as many tries to get through listening to it without barfing.

And if this mom was so concerned with her kids, how is she going to respond when this dirty little moron comes home with a pair of new shoes for her? I guess "Christmas Interferon" just wasn't as catchy.

Rollie Fingers said...

//I came across your blog after doing a search for "Christmas shoes worst."//


Heheh. Me too.

Anonymous said...

:: I came across your blog after doing a search for "Christmas shoes worst." ::

So did I.

If so many people find this song so horrible, why does the all Christmas station insist on playing it every hour. Guh.

Outerheaven85 said...

So happy to see others hate it too